Saturday, September 12, 2009

Thoughts from Over There


I used to believe we had lost command of the English language, but it seems that grammar is not everything. Some retain the ability to write simply and with great feeling. I stand corrected.


Army Staff Sgt. Dale Panchot, 26, of Northome, Minn., in a letter to his family.


“I was reading my Bible the other night and in the book of Genesis ... it said when God created the heavens and earth, he made four rivers, two of which are here in Iraq, the Tigris and the Euphrates. So after I found that out, I had to go down by the river and touch the water. I tell you, it was something else. Pretty cool, huh?”


The final journal entry of Army National Guard Chief Warrant Officer Bruce Smith, 41, of West Liberty, Iowa. His wife, Oliva, received the necklace in the mail two days after his funeral, with a short note:

“Oliva, Happy Birthday Early. Love Bruce.”“I sent Oliva a b-day present yesterday. A nice necklace. She will get it a couple of weeks early but that is good.”


Army National Guard Sgt. Roger Rowe, 54, of Bon Aqua, Tenn., in his last letter to his wife, Shirley.

“Love has always gotten us through and it will do so again.”


Army Pfc. Diego Rincon, 19, of Conyers, Ga., in his last letter home.

“Whether I make it or not, it’s all part of the plan. It can’t be changed, only completed. Mother will be the last word I’ll say. Your face will be the last picture that goes through my eyes. ... I just hope that you’re proud of what I’m doing and have faith in my decisions. I will try hard and not give up. I just want to say sorry for anything I have ever done wrong. And I’m doing it all for you mom. I love you.”

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Nothing they wrote can be improved on.