Thursday, August 7, 2008

Breaking the ice . . .

Well, here I sit writing the first entry to my new blog. It comes on an interesting day. On this day I turn in my resignation to the Arkansas State Park system and move into a new chapter of my life. I must confess my actions have been a long time coming, but very few know this. I will be moving 60 miles from my current location and living in a log cabin constructed circa 1850. No longer a park ranger, I will take up the mantle of a college history instructor while serving as the Cadet Battalion Commander for the ASU ROTC program. What a lifestyle switch! To think this all revolves around a decision I made just over a year ago.



While this will be a paycut, unusual living quarters, and a complete change of schedule and routine, I can barely contain my excitement and enthusiasm at this move. As you may have guessed, my new living quarters have inspired the name of this blog. I now nurse romantic ideas of sitting at a table near the fireplace in my 19th century living quarters, my laptop, a glaring anachronism in my new surroundings, on the table in front of me as I type away my thoughts and perspectives from my new vantage point in life. It may not be romantic for very long as hot as it is this time of year, but I will allow myself to dream for the moment.



As I wrap up my first post, I am steeling myself to walk next door and hand my resignation letter to my supervisor. I suppose that will constitute page one of this new chapter. I'm interested to see how my story unfolds.

No comments: