Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Relativity . . .

What can I say . . . time is relative. I have sat here in this very chair on numerous occasions and watched each minute pass in painstaking agony. I set here today, and I think that if I had a old clock on my desk right now the hands would be like an oscillating fan. 15 minutes left in a 4 year stint with Arkansas State Parks. Those bad days in the past where I could have quit and walked out the door never to look back again seem so far away. I remember the good times now. I know I have to go, but that doesn't make this any easier.

When I was a young boy, I always used to wonder why people would decide to move away and then cry about it before they left. It seemed so silly to me then. Just stay where you are. I can't say that I understand it any better now than I did when I watched my Mother cry as an old friend moved away, yet here I stand about to walk out the door, out of what is comfortable and into everything that is foreign. The past seems so clear and the future so murky.

I feel like Indiana Jones, poised above the precipice, holy grail within reach. I'm going to take the step . . .

3 comments:

Ash said...

"I betcha cain't tell how many guns I got on me now..."

Soon, you will be able to utter these words.

Stephanie said...

Well, you might not know what the future holds, but you know who holds the future. You have great things ahead of you! Go toward your joy!

Martha D. Manley said...

You must decide your future and go for it... by doing your best and not saying to yourself one day, "oh,if only I had tried" will you ever succeed. Be willing to make the changes that are required to reach your goals in life. Not forgetting from whence you came,but the looking forward to fulfilling your dreams.

And you know that we are behind you completely.