Friday, August 8, 2008

Peanut butter pie and community tables

The simple pleasures in life often amaze me. Today I went to lunch at Renee's, a small diner in Black Rock, AR. In many ways it's the hub of the community. You can go in and sit alone in one of the old booths that line the walls of the diner if you wish, or you can be daring and choose to sit at one of the many community tables in the center of the room. You take a big chance when you choose to dine in one of these tables. In the center of the room, three mismatched kitchen tables rest in no particular position. At these tables you never know who may sit next to you. Today I just so happened to sit next to the Chief of Police and the Fire Chief. Tell me,
where in New York or San Francisco will you ever be able to accomplish a feat so grand as that?

Now if you sit at the community table you have to be prepared for the conversation that will accompany your decision. If you came prepared to discuss astrophysics or even exchange intelligent political banter you would find yourself ill prepared for the conversation that would ensue. Today's discussion revolved around the shocks located on the front of a Ford Crown Victoria and the little tool you need to remove the old shocks. Apparently no one at the table was aware of this little tool. For the next thirty minutes we all discussed, in great detail, this little tool and why Ford found it necessary to make the front shocks irremovable without it.

At the end of thirty minutes, I found myself looking at the dry erase board special and wondering what type of pie I should try. I didn't really need any pie. I did want it; however, so I went with my gut instinct. I forgot that I was sitting at the community table. As I placed my order one of the older ladies questioned my decision concerning pie. Slightly affronted, I defended my choice of pie (I could have chosen lemon ice box, coconut, chocolate, or peanut butter). It just so happened that I chose peanut butter. For the next few minutes we all discussed the various pies on the menu and which would be best. In the end, I stuck with my decision. I did realize, though, the importance of keeping everyone appeased at the community table.

If you ever drive through Black Rock, I highly suggest you give Renee's a shot for lunch. You can fall in with the safe thing to do and sit alone in one of the old booths along the wall. Or you can be daring and sit at one of the big kitchen tables in the center of the room. You never know with whom you will sit. You may learn more than you ever imagined. Venture out from the booth on the periphery and explore the area in the middle. I also suggest you try the peanut butter pie. Just be ready to justify your decision to everyone else.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

The peanut butter pie sounds good, but I don't know if I'm brave enough for the community table!