Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The bottom of the fast food chain . . .

In fast food, you have your top of the lines restaurants: McDonald's, Burger King, Sonic, Taco Bell, etc. You also have your less than ideal eating establishments. Church's Chicken, in my opinion, falls at the very bottom of the chain. After training today two Second Lieutenants and I(sounds kind of neat to say that) went out to eat. One of them, who shall remain nameless, suggested Church's Chicken. We decided to dine in that particular establishment much to our taste bud's dismay. Nevertheless, the trek was not a total loss.



Now in the Army you may see one Sergeant Major or two Sergeants Major. You can address letters to Dr. and Mrs. Smith or The Drs. Smith if they both hold the title (i believe). So in the case of ordering food at Church's Chicken, which rule applies. The gentleman in line after me ordered "Some chicken, a couple of them biscuits and two corn on the cobs." Now I sat there in the chicken shack for the next several minutes trying to determine whether it should be "corn on the cobs" or "corns on the cob." You could go the easy way out and simply request, "two corn cobs please." All of the three sounded so humorous that I started laughing in the chicken place. I guess the ladies felt sorry for me because they gave us all free apple pies.



So which is it? "Corn on the cobs." "Corns on the cob." or "Two corn cobs please."



p.s. another excellent day of training to include a 5 mile road march. I lost ten pounds in water (at least) over the course of the march. Overall a really good day.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Two cobs of corn, please.

Martha D. Manley said...

I had no doubt that your Mom would know the correct wording.. but for me on the other hand, I would have simply said... " hand over those cobs, dude, and be quick about it!"