Friday, June 19, 2009

England on my mind.

I have been absent for the past few days. We had some training that went until late in the day, and I could not muster the stamina to stay up and write something when we got back. I simply hit the sack. I've made it through week two, and have a weekend pass. Some buddies and I are going to Oklahoma City. We'll see how that turns out.




For the past few days I've been thinking about the last year of my life, specifically 2009, and all the things that have happened. I believe it will remain one of the oddest and most eventful years of my life. While I've been in this wonderful training known as BOLCII, I have had several hours to kill while waiting in line to accomplish a certain task or learn a particular set of actions. During that time I've dwelt a considerable bit on a trip to England that I finally undertook during spring break this year. I had planned to go with two friends of mine and called my mother to tell her. She was excited about the opportunity (and probably a bit jealous). She gave me some hints about where to go and what to do. About 10 days out, my buddies bailed on me because they couldn't get a passport in time. Somewhat ashamed and embarrassed that I hadn't asked her first, I called Mom to see if she would go with me.




She was working on her dissertation, and I knew that although she may want to go she may not be able to due the large volume of work she had before her. I knew she was interested when I called and asked, but she said she would have to think about it and talk to dad. Within a few hours, I had my answer.




Mom and I left for England a few days later, and I enjoyed one of the best trips of my life. We must have walked five marathons up and down London's streets. We got a nice hotel about 1/4 mile from an underground station and planned each day out the night before. We caught a play every night on London's West End and saw almost everything there was to see in London. I know I got snippy once or twice as we negotiated some of the worst pedestrian traffic in the world. Looking back, that is the only regret I have of the trip. I really wish I didn't let small things like that get to me that threaten to ruin a trip or make your travel partner, and mother, feel that you are mad at them. I suppose that is my burden to overcome in life.




That week was one of the most exhausting and exhilarating weeks of my life. I enjoyed every minute of it and still smile when I think back that I have a mother who will hop on a plane with me, run through the traffic of London, and make some of the best memories of my life. When times are less than favorable, and I long for better times. That trip always surfaces "in the back roads of my memory" and keeps things "ever gentle on my mind."




Thanks for the good times Mom!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

You're welcome! I'm so glad you asked me. I enjoyed every minute of it, too. And you didn't get too snippy! :-D

Next time, Paris? or Berlin? or . . .

Martha D. Manley said...

That is what "life" should be about.. finding the better part... of daily living with those you love and who love you...even if you stay at home or go abroad,never detour from laughter, fun and togetherness. All of that will help you get through the troublesome times.. for they surely will come,but you don't have to live in it,but pass on to better times.

Travis said...

Athens? Rome? Moscow?

lisa b said...

Travis, you don't know me, but I love your mom and it was wonderful to read about your trip from your perspective!

You have an amazing mom and I'm honored to consider her a friend! God bless YOU as you struggle through your training in this terrible heat. I hope we can meet in person when you are home.