Monday, June 8, 2009

Week 1 Day 1

Well, I don't have just a ton of time, but I thought I might write a bit about this wonderful new experience that I undergo as we speak: BOLC II. This is the Basic Officer Leadership Course, and I am enduring this ordeal at Ft. Sill, OK. So far it has been a whole lot of hurry up and wait. We filled out paper work, and more paper work, and more paper work, and . . . well you get the idea. In short, in-processing is tedious and time consuming. I never thought I'd be ready to get into the field, but it beats waiting around and planting your butt in the same chair all day long!

So all my finance paperwork is in so I should soon begin receiving my Second Lieutenant pay. I got my first salute yesterday from some random private on the sidewalk near the PX. I must admit that I felt a little ashamed. I feel like I must have shammed my way through to earn something like that. It's a different experience to receive a respect like that just because of something you wear on your uniform. It kind of hit home what a grave responsibility I have taken on. It fills me with excitement and a tiny bit of fear. I think that's good though. You should always be a little scared of the future. Right now I have a good mix of fear and excitement. I'm ready for the future. We'll see what day 2 holds. More to follow . . .

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

This, too, shall pass. Glad you're blogging again!